Skip to main content

Animal by Nikki Rae

AnimalAnimal by Nikki Rae

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


*An ARC kindly provided by the author in exchange for my honest review.*

Ummm...yea. I had a hard time coming up with a review for this book. Why? I'm emotionally drained. A book hangover if you will. Now while it took a lot out of me, I must say that there's a giddy side of me that is just gushing with excitement because I've read the Sunshine series and this book is the pre cursor to Sophie's story. We see how it all began. We see the WHY but it isn't justified.

This story is one of survival. Ava, our main character, has the knowledge that there are indeed vampires living among her. Her parents taught her how to block them out of her head. She's so on guard that she moves from place to place. She has an anxiety disorder. Which really made me feel like taking a Xanax myself. It's not that it was reading how an anxiety attack starts, it was what she went through that had my heart pounding, me breathless, and of course I was scared. Michael is a sadistic, cruel monster. He has a twisted way of looking at love. He's followed Ava since she was a little girl, when he first came in contact with her. He always came up empty because he was always a step behind until he finds her in NY. I hate Michael. I don't care about why he is the way he is. Yes, his parents were wrong in what they did. Yes he got his revenge on them but why couldn't that be enough? Maybe because he's a vampire and certain instincts are more fierce than when you're human? Nope. Not buying it. Vampire or not, you have a choice. To do good or do evil. Obviously, he chose evil. And every human he has come into contact with has met an unfortunate end. All except Ava. But she doesn't escape so easily. Not without a daily reminder that she's been infected with his blood. You see what she goes through in the Sunshine books. It was not pretty. If anything it's painful & horrifying.
I want to talk about two characters I left out. One, Evan. I first met him in the Sunshine series and I honestly thought he was a creep. However, I no longer feel that way. Yes, he helped Michael in taking Ava, but he kept telling her they were going to get away from Michael. We learn of Evan's story with his sister Katya. Michael has Evan caught by blood. So of course he has to do what Michael says or else.
It turned out there were far worse things than death.
And two, Myles. If I was in love with Myles when I read Sunshine then after reading this story I love him even more. Myles is the epitome of a good vampire. Just the total opposite of Michael. Myles treasures life. Myles is one of my favorite vampires, EVER!! He knows what Michael is capable of and that's why he does what he does.
I am a huge fan of Nikki Rae & her writing. It is raw, unique, horrifying, and beautiful. I was enthralled and enticed into Ava's story. So much so I stayed up into the early morning to see how it ended. Afterwards, it makes you want to go read the Sunshine series all over again!! All I have left to say is, "Well done, Nikki Rae."



View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#CoverReveal: Ed & Livvy by Bryan Tann

🌟🌟 #CoverReveal 🌟🌟Ed and Livvyby Bryan TannComing 10/2017 from Hot Ink Press Synopsis:Ed is stuck in a miserable job and a worse marriage, and wishes the world would just end. Livvy's heart has been shattered too often to count, and her fear of a previous life haunts her. Their worlds combine after one traumatic event. Her mind. His strength. Together they'll fight back.

About the Author:

Known for the Path of Redemption series and the John Baker Chronicles, Bryan also does voice overs and some audiobook narrations. Bryan A. Tann was born in Pittsburgh, PA and has lived in Western PA all of his life except for eight years in New England.
His debut novel "The Enforcer" was first written in 2007 and was originally self published in 2009 before being accepted by CH&BB Publishing in 2016 and published in early 2017.
Bryan lives a quiet life with his two cats while geeking with his friends. He's got a 1st Degree Black Belt in Kenpo and by day he's a security su…

#NewRelease #BookReview #AuthorInterview: WITCH WARS by T.A. Moorman

Witch Wars by T. A. Moorman
Paranormal Print Length: 194 pagesPublisher: After Glows Publishing (September 12, 2017)Publication Date: September 12, 2017Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLCLanguage: EnglishASIN: B075C8LFLZ
Synopsis
Tialanna is fated to become the queen of all Underlayes witches. She thinks the worst part of her life is the fact that she’s betrothed to a complete stranger while in love with someone else. She’s in for a rude awakening when she discovers who, and what, she truly is.
Tialanna is about to learn the truth behind several lies, because not only does her life depend on it, but so does the fate of the family she never even knew she had. But hey, life would probably just be boring if she didn't have to deal with elemental witches, vampires, demons, sorcerers, bindings, spells, lust and betrayal. Right? 
***This book is intended for mature audiences only as it includes both graphic violence and graphic sex***


Witch Wars by T.A. Moorman

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

An ARC …

#NewRelease: DAMAGED! by J.S. Scott

Damaged!: A Walker Brothers Novel: (The Walker Brothers Book 3) by J.S. ScottThe final book of the Walker Brothers Trilogy!!!

What happens when your entire future is destroyed in moments?


Dane

My
name is Dane Walker, and I'm entirely, irrevocably damaged. I lost my
whole life in the plane crash that killed my father and left me scarred,
both physically and emotionally, barely clinging to life in a hospital
as the sole survivor of the accident.. I wasn't fit to function in the
city, so I moved to my own private island in the Bahamas to lick my
wounds alone.

I'd spent my adult life building up my solitary existence on Walker's Cay.

I was fine with being by myself.

I was resigned to my fate.

But then I met her.

My brothers sent her; I wanted to send her away.

But...I couldn't.

Something
about Kenzie Jordan reminds me of myself. She's broken just like me. I
want to save her from whatever secrets she's hiding. She was handed a
pretty raw deal in lif…